If I asked you to think of which types of meat you could eat on the keto diet, how long would it take you before salmon made it to the list? Salmon is one of those sources of protein and healthy fat that people tend to overlook within the keto community. Bacon, cheese, steaks and butter tend to get all the lime light (rightfully so) but there is a case to be made for salmon as well.
Salmon is a flavorful, flaky and delicious protein choice, especially when you want to switch it up from some tougher choices (beef, pork and chicken). It is also lighter on the stomach than other previous mentioned proteins. Salmon is versatile too. It tastes great baked, grilled or even pan fried, which happens to be my personal favorite. Besides being delicious, salmon is also packed full of nutrients.
According to USDA Agricultural Research Service website, salmon is high in calcium, phosphorous, potassium, vitamin d & a, and omega 3. Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid used within our body to reduce inflammation levels. Dr. Berg also speaks on the importance of omega 3’s and their support of brain, eye and heart health.
Now that you know some of salmon’s health benefits, let’s give you a recipe that brings nutritious and delicious together.
Keto Meal Idea – Salmon Patties
I never knew these were a thing. I use to think these were a random concoction my mother whipped up one day to slay our appetites. As my mother began working more, my sister stepped up and learned how to recreate salon patties. Well, if I am being honest, they were mackerel patties. Lol!
Salmon was more expensive than mackerel and when you are feeding up to 7 mouths at a time (yeah, I have 6 siblings), every little adds up. So we made this dish with mackerel growing up. It wasn’t until years later down my health journey that I reconnected with this dish.
Before I could truly reconnect, I had to keto-fy the dish first. Without further delay, I give to you the keto conscious salmon patty …
Keto Salmon Patty Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 – 15 min
- 24 oz of canned salmon (I used Wild Planet: Wild Sockeye Salmon)
- 3/4 cup of shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (I used Parma Vegan Nutritional Yeast)
- 3/4 cup of diced onions
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp of oil (I used Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil)
- Sea Salt to taste (I used Redmond Real)
- 3/4 cup of frying oil ( I used coconut oil)
- Prepare your grease for frying by setting the cooking temp to med-high heat.
- While the grease is heating up, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Take about 8oz of the mixture and form into patties and place into hot grease.
- Cook on each side for about 5 min or until browned on both sides.
- Take out of the grease and let cool for 5 min prior to serving. I speak from personal experience when I say let cool for 5 min unless you want to burn your mouth too. Lol.
Some Things To Ponder…
Here are some considerations:
- I do not know what the macros are with this dish. If you want them, then calculate them as you prepare the dish based off the ingredients you use.
- You could use different canned fish but I recommend wild and sustainably caught fish. This is why I chose Wild Planet Sockeye Salmon
- If you enjoy the taste of ketchup with your patties, then I would recommend getting some Primal Kitchen’s Ketchup. It is so good and keto conscious.
- Redmond Real Sea Salt is great for providing the body with electrolytes and our taste buds with flavor.
- This is also a good alternative for those seeking meals with lower amounts of fiber.
Another Day, Another Meal Idea For You To Try
Now that I have written a meal prep idea for you, go try it out and let me know what you think. I would love to hear back from you.
If you know of anybody else needing some keto meal ideas, spread the word and share this with them.
The Kindest Regards,
Black N Keto